The definition of energy management is: “The efficient and effective use of energy to maximize profits (minimize cost) and enhance competitive positions.” -7th edition to energy management.
Every facility has a different pattern on the way it consumes energy. Understanding that pattern, monitoring the usage, setting parameters and determining more efficient ways to heat and cool a location can save substantial money.
It is very important to have a firm that understands the different ways to heat or cool your facility; since the price for Refined Oil, Waste Oil, Natural Gas, Electricity, Coal and other commodities change daily.
Our team of professionals have the expertise needed to guide you on achieving the lowest possible cost to run your facility. “The way your facility heats and cools itself can change over night!” -Vantage Etc.
- Shadow Metering –Shadow Metering is used for a number of reasons. One of the main purposes of adding an additional meter or “shadow meter” to your already existing utility meter would be to double check its accuracy. Over the years we have found a number of meters that were not operating properly and through additional metering we were able to confirm billing, energy usage and if monthly energy costs were correct or incorrect.
- Sub-Metering – The most common reason behind Sub-Metering is to avoid the hassle of breaking down the volume of energy used by a tenant. Sub-Metering cuts through this dilemma by accurately measuring the amount of energy that particular area used and how much the energy cost was for specific times.
- Smart Metering – Most building owners or property managers are not aware of this but the local utility is monitoring how much energy and how fast a building is consuming energy on a 15, 30, 45, 60 minute interval. Depending on certain criteria the utility may use other frequencies. Since most building owners, property managers or facility directors only review their monthly invoice, they do not have the ability to see the consumption patterns needed to truly take advantage of energy savings.
On-Site Energy Generation
On-Site Generation is the ability to generate energy without having to use the power grid. Some forms of On-site generation systems are Solar Energy, Wind Turbines, Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Co-Generation systems, Generators, etc...
On-Site Generation system can be very profitable if a proper review is completed, the price for energy is taken into account and the rebates from the State are factored in accurately. MOST COMPANIES MAKE VERY BIG MISTAKES.
In addition to the money incentive, to add an on-site-generation system, there is a global incentive as most on-site-generation systems create cleaner energy which in turn lowers a facilities carbon footprint. The lower the amount of Carbon Dioxide your facility is releasing into the environment the better and safer it is for the environment and ozone layer.
On almost a daily bases a new invention is being created to generate more or cleaner energy. In the United States the cost for energy is increasing tremendously. There are many reasons for the increase in demand and cost of energy, the three major factors are:
- The Energy grids were built years ago and have become extremely inefficient.
- The world’s population is growing every day hence there is a greater need for energy than ever before.
- Most buildings become 2 – 5 percent less efficient each year. Picture a city with 5,000 buildings, if each building become 2% less efficient each year, how much would the need for energy increase?
Rates and Tariffs
Rates and Tariffs can vary from utility to utility. Knowing how your local utility charges for the different ways your facility burns energy can save substantial money.
There are a number of public places a consumer can go to find the rates and tariffs in their area.
The amount of money being charged can vary by a facilities size, amount of consumption, the time of the day energy is used, and many other ways.
Most people would never purchase something if they didn't know the price. The vast majority of building owners pay their energy bill every month without ever knowing how the utility came up with the price that they did.
Low hanging Fruit
Low hanging Fruit is a term in the energy industry that means “an easy or low cost way to conserve on the consumption of energy, without having to make a big investment.
At Vantage we will conduct a full audit to find all of the energy efficiency upgrades your facility can implement to save energy. Most facility managers don’t realize by doing very simple things to a building the energy consumption can drop dramatically.